Fire is like a blessing if you use it properly but can be a curse if handled improperly. So, it is important to be aware of some basic fire safety precautions to avoid any mishappening caused by a fire in your house, office or other places.
Many people think that a fire breaks out by the mistakes of kids or due to some unknown reasons. But, this wonderful creation of God can take place anytime and anywhere without even your knowledge. Hence, it is important to get prepared beforehand to avoid any calamity caused by it.
Fire Prevention Tips
For your convenience, some important tips to avoid breaking out a fire and its related calamities can be discussed as under:
- Install the appropriate number of fire safety equipment and devices in your building.
- Test the smoke alarms at least once a month, and also replace their batteries at least once a year.
- Instruct the kids what smoke alarms sound like, and what should they do whenever they hear them.
- Make sure that all the members of your family know the two ways of escaping from every room of your house.
- Practice to escape from your building thrice a year, and teach your family also.
- Make a family emergency communications plan. They must know whom to contact in case they do not find one another.
- At the time of breaking of fire press smoke alarm button or yell “Fire“ to alert all that they must move to get out.
- Make sure all know how to call 9-1-1.
Thinking- "how I would get fire safety supply near me?" Do not worry! There are several reputed companies in the online market that provide fire safety supplies in NYC and other parts of the US. You can purchase them online easily as per your requirements.
What to do if fire takes place?
In spite of using precautions if fire takes place in your building without your knowledge, take care of the following things:
- Safely operate a fire extinguisher.
- Do not forget to dial your local emergency phone number after getting out.
- Yell "Fire" many times, and get out of the building immediately.
- Use stairs instead of an elevator or lift as they may stop working due to electricity damages.
- If smoke or fire blocks your main route use another way to get out of the fireplace.
- Do not try to touch a warm handle to open a door.
- In case you have to escape through smoke, get down and make your way under the smoke to exit.
- If the exit route is blocked fully due to fire, stay in your room, place wet towels under the door and call a fire department. Open the windows of your room and wave a bright cloth or flashlight outside to signal for help.
- Reach your family meeting place, and send some person to get the help of the fire department.
- If your clothes catch fire, stop whatever you are doing, drop to the floor, cover your face, and roll over or back and forth until the flames vanquish.
When the fire goes out, cool down the burnt areas of your skin with water, give first aid to prevent further injuries, and call for medical help.
How to avoid fire while using fireworks?
In case you and your children are going to use fireworks, take care of the following things:
- Do not buy fireworks with professional displays (packaged in brown paper) as they are not meant to crack at home and could pose serious dangers.
- Always have firework activities under some adult supervision.
- Save your body parts from the firework devices, come to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Place a bucket of water close to you to extinguish the fire if it takes place.
- Do not keep fireworks in your pocket or shoot them off in some metal or glass containers.
- After completion of burning fireworks, douse the spent device with water from a bucket before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
Using fire safety equipment helps a lot to prevent fire taking place surrounds you. The latest technology such as a carbon monoxide alarm comes with electrochemical CO Sensor that immediately